Sunday, July 16, 2006

R.I.P. Erik Kleven, great bass player



Sorry this isn't about another Eastern Euro pop video.

Erik Kleven, a guy who was pretty much a local legend, a musician par excellence and a friendly, positive influence on the music scene here in Sacramento, died yesterday in a head-on collision that killed three other people. He was driving up Highway 16, what we locals call the Jackson Highway, through Rancho Murieta in his 1964 Volvo Amazon, most likely headed to a gig in Sutter Creek or Jackson. In the awful photo in our local daily, you can see his bass amp sitting on the pavement next to the trunk of his crushed car.

The last time I saw Erik play, he was providing the low end in Tony Passarell's free jazz ensemble at Old Ironsides, sitting there blowing through a wraparound Sousaphone tuba while saxophones squealed and squawked around him. He played with everybody, and was the most reliable provider of low-end sonics in the region. But I probably saw him appear the most times as the bass player in Anton Barbeau's old band, the Joy Boys.

I was at Anton's show at the Fox and Goose last night when the news hit. Former Joy Boy Creed Maggiora was playing drums, which made me remember Erik and Joy Boys guitarist Don Hawkins, who weren't there. Then Allyson and Kevin Seconds, who were playing in their band Ghetto Moments a block over at Old Ironsides, popped in to pass on what they'd heard, and because I was in the back booth next to the door, I guess I was one of the first in that club to hear about Erik's demise. Which is weird, because you're looking toward the stage and seeing people on it, and seeing people in the crowd, who are having a really good time, and you know that, in a matter of minutes, they will hear the same news you just heard, and they will feel that same wave of awfulness and sadness and incredulous sense of "What the fuck?" that you're experiencing at the moment.

Erik was the kind of quiet but ubiquitous presence who touched a lot of people in life, played a lot of great music, and is touching them now in death. I'm sorry if I'm getting all Sammy Maudlin here, but that's the way it is. R.I.P., Erik.

3 Comments:

Blogger ski.taylor@me.com said...

hey i just found out about this - what a loss. Erik was a great player and a nice guy.

(Jackson - I logged in as my wife cos I dont wanna set up a Blogger account - can you change that preference so that us non-Blogger types can comment? thanks - Dana)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Jackson Griffith said...

Should be fixed now, Dana.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated to Mister Kleven (tho he was great and didn't treat us kids like faculty brats when he hung around a school my pop worked at-nother story) but some stuff about your music history bit: The Twinkiez' mastermind Donnie Jupiter is still around, not doing tunes far as I know (comix) but DID play with the Lizards for a while. Dave Downey at World's Best Comics could tell you more. Another Twink, Keith-the-drummer probably still works at Esoteric, but post-twinkies was a pickup drummer for a LOT of touring acts. Funny funny man. Other twinks didn't end up so great. (Poor Tom Darling, where is he, I wonder?) As for Tales of Terror, I don't recall seeing the name Captain "Trip" Mender, who was and is The Boss of the Six String. (my title) Having heard both he and The Slurb in person, I'd say he's almost up there with old Nick. He last played with Ding Dang, now known only as Trip and looking pretty damn scary. Ding Dang did some fine sloppy-ass country and when Trip wasn't too busy tearing hecklers a new one, they could do no wrong.

This probably doesn't need posting at your blogspot. Thought you might wanna know some other info on the local scene.

Ed Hunter

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home